The Virginia Folklife Program presents its tenth annual Folklife Apprenticeship Showcase on Sunday, September 15th, from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. at the VFH Conference Center. This free festival will feature the music, crafts, and traditional skills of Virginia’s “Folk Masters” and their apprentices.
The Folklife Apprenticeships pair an experienced master artist with an apprentice for a one-on-one, nine-month learning experience, in order to ensure that a particular art form is passed on in ways that are conscious of history and faithful to tradition.
Other featured crafts at the Showcase include real Brunswick stew by the Proclamation Stew Crew (for sale by the quart), fried apple pies by Frances Davis, the fried-apple-pie-lady, and an oyster shucking competition with world champions Deborah Pratt and Clementine Macon.
We will celebrate the completion of the 2012–2013 Virginia Folklife Apprenticeships:
- Master Guitar Maker Wayne Henderson of Grayson County and apprentice Elizabeth Henderson
- Master Blues Singer Gaye Adegbalola of Fredericksburg and apprentice Lorie Strother
- Master Chickahominy Dancer Jessica Stewart of Charles City County and apprentice Vanessa Adkins
- Master Dulcimer Maker Walter Messick of Grayson County and apprentice Chris Testerman
- Master of Jobshop Letterpress Printing Garrett Queen of Charlottesville and apprentice Lana Lambert
- Master Instrument Contest Emcee Harold Mitchell of Galax and apprentice Dale Morris
- Master of Clawhammer Banjo and Moonshine Stories Jimmy Boyd of Franklin County and apprentice Jared Boyd
- Master Gunsmith Wallace Gusler of Williamsburg and apprentice Bruce Larson
We will introduce the 2013–2014 Master Folk Artists and their apprentices:
- Master Bee Keeper Jim King of Grayson County and apprentice Jackson Cunningham
- Master of Traditional Gospel Choir Cheryl Marcia Maroney of Richmond and apprentice Robinette D. Cross
- Master Chair Maker Sean Samoheyl of Louisa County and apprentice David Rogers
- Master Quilter Sharon Tindall of Fairfax County and apprentice Nancy Chilton
- Master of Traditional Green Wood Working and Farm Instrument Construction Danny Wingate of Grayson County and apprentice Sam Linkous
- Master of Sephardic Jewish Ballad Singing Flory Jagoda of Alexandria and apprentice Aviva Chernick
- Master of Bluegrass Fiddle Buddy Pendleton of Patrick County and apprentice Aila Wildman
- Master Mole Sauce Maker Francisca Ramirez Acosta of Arlington and apprentice Laura Ortiz
The Folklife Apprenticeship Showcase is free and open to the public and will take place at the VFH, off 250 West (Ivy Road) in Charlottesville at 145 Ednam Drive in the Boar’s Head Inn Complex. For more information, call 434-924-3296.
New this Year: Apprenticeship Photo Exhibition: Saturday, September 14, 7:00pm at the Bridge PAI
The Virginia Folklife Program will present the photographs of Pat Jarrett at a special reception on Saturday, September 14th at 7:00pm at the Bridge, 209 Monticello Road in Charlottesville.
For the past two years, Jarrett has been photographing participants in the Virginia Folklife Apprenticeship Program. The reception is free and open to the public. Loose Strings, a bluegrass band from Galax, Virginia, will perform.
The exhibition of Apprenticeship photographs will be open at The Bridge PAI from September 6-26. Jarrett’s photos are incredible and not to be missed.
Thank you to our sponsors!
The Apprenticeship Showcase and photo exhibition receive funding support from the National Endowment for the Arts, Virginia is for Lovers, and the Bama Works Fund of Dave Matthews Band in the Charlottesville Area Community Foundation (CACF). We are grateful for their continuing support!